Cinedeck LLC showcased Cinedeck EXTREME v2.0, highlighting full support for Avid DNxHD, CineForm and Apple ProRes in a seamless camera-to-post workflow environment, at NAB 2011 in Las Vegas. Cinedeck NAB 2011 news highlights include:
• Cinedeck unveiled the Cinedeck Stereo Option for 3D capture and playback. The Cinedeck Stereo Option adds dual camera monitoring, capture, and playback to the award-winning Cinedeck EXTREME, delivering highly mobile stereoscopic 3D capabilities to production crews of all sizes. Now cinematographers will have the most convenient 3D capture and playback visualization tool available on set complete with full HD-SDI or HDMI monitoring, eliminating the need for redundant equipment. Cinedeck EXTREME’s new Stereo Option is built on CineForm’s award-winning Neo 3D and First Light stereoscopic production technology.
• Cinedeck and Silicon Imaging also announced a new collaboration between the two companies in which Cinedeck is now delivering SI-2K 12-bit RAW 2K or HD Uncompressed and CineForm recording, 3D-LUT Color Processing with dual SDI monitoring on the Cinedeck EXTREME.
• Working in close collaboration with ARRI, Cinedeck announced today it is working with the development team at ARRI to ensure comprehensive support for the ARRIRAW™ format, and to achieve formal certification as part of their Partner Program. ARRIRAW certification will be announced upon full completion of the certification process.
“Since we debuted to the NAB crowd this time last year, we’ve been humbled by the enthusiastic, passionate response of our users, including some of the industry’s most respected filmmakers, cinematographers, like Danny Boyle, Sam Nicholson and JR Friesen. We listened carefully to their requirements; the details that would make Cinedeck EXTREME even more valuable to their pipeline,” said Alan Hoff, CEO of Cinedeck. “We’re here at NAB 2011 with a host of new developments that deliver the kind of workflow efficiencies our customers are craving. Seamless camera-to-post workflows with Avid DNxHD and full Apple ProRes support; an amazing stereo 3D option built on proven CineForm technology, new collaboration with Silicon Imaging that delivers unprecedented 12-bit RAW recording. There’s a lot to be excited about with Cinedeck at NAB 2011!”
Cinedeck EXTREME in 3D; How the Stereo 3D Option Works
Available immediately as a new option, Cinedeck is adding a powerful, innovative real-time stereo 3D monitor, record and playback feature built on the award-winning CineForm Neo 3D and First Light technologies.
The enabling technology for Cinedeck EXTREME’s 3D option is a CineForm stereo MOV file that contains temporarily synchronized left and right eyes, each at full quality 1920×1080 HD spatial resolutions. In 3D presentation mode, both left and right eyes are blended into a single 1920×1080 HD frame size and the resulting HD frame is instantly displayed on the Cinedeck EXTREME as side-by-side, over-under, or interlaced per the format necessary for the display. Additionally, customers will have the ability to adjust convergence – horizontal, vertical, or rotational – dynamically during editorial using 3D Active MetadataTM controls inherent in CineForm’s First Light 3D, a technique which simplifies and reduces costs associated with a 3D conform. CineForm’s 3D Active Metadata also allows for real-time color correction on both eyes simultaneously, or on individual eyes to adjust for color variations that may be caused during the recording process. This new development will transform the stereo 3D production workflow for Cinedeck EXTREME.
Cinedeck EXTREME: Unifying Workflow Tool for International ESPN Short Documentary
This February Evolve IMG Films went to Brazil to shoot a short documentary TV feature for ESPN’s E:60 (www.e60.com). E:60’s story is on Bruno Fernandes de Souza, a Brazilian Soccer Star accused of murder,. The production creative called for shooting in very dangerous military occupied favela’s (slums), fully staged re-enactment scenes, helicopter scenics, and extensive interviews conducted in the Brazilian cities of Rio de Janiero, Belo Horizonte & Campo Grande.
“It was the most aggressive international production we’ve ever been a part of. When you take on a story like this, you gotta do it right. You have to have the right equipment, period.” Joel Edwards, DP / Technical Director Evolve IMG Films. “We used the Cinedeck EXTREME this year at the Super Bowl, and really fell in love with what it can do. Cinedeck was a consistent game changer for us in Brazil. We had a lot going on, and in every different scenario the Cinedeck Extreme helped us do our job quicker and better.”
“Every situation we were in, Cinedeck has workflow improving options; Master record, dual secondary record, monitor, every I/O connection and computer & edit ready. We love that we can name and number project clip names right off the screen – it’s make dailies and post production so much quicker to have everything organized, in the proper file folder structure, instantly available in our editing codecs – as soon as it’s dumped.”
“Cinedeck EXTREME is a one of a kind product, I don’t know of anything else on the market that can do what Cinedeck does. The codec support and record master quality is top of the line. The more we use it – the more we can’t live without it. Hands down, it is the most versatile tool in the box.”
NAB 2011 Special Show Pricing
Beginning Monday, April 11, 2011, customers can take advantage of NAB 2011 special show pricing discounts. Effective immediately, Cinedeck EXTREME is priced as follows:
• Cinedeck EXTREME HiBrite: $8,990 US (a $2,000 savings);
• Cinedeck EXTREME : $8,495 US (a $1,500 savings);
• Cinedeck Stereo Option for 3D: $995 US;
• Cinedeck SI-2K Camera Option: $3495 US;
• Cinedeck FullStream Uncompressed™ Option: $3495 US (includes a 256GB RAID SSD)
• Cinedeck ExSync™ Timecode Module: $895 US