NAB 2011 Booth # C12437, Meduza is the first all Stereoscopic S3D camera system, built from the ground up, that never goes obsolete. The Meduza allows you to switch in seconds between sensor pairs and choose from an ever increasing variety of imaging sensors from HD to far beyond 4K. You can select for frame rate, image size, color rendition, light sensitivity, format from 1/ 2.3 to beyond 4/3 (cinema). For the first time users can change sensors like they change ASA to fit the need of the moment allowing the camera to adapt as required rather than the filming being limited by the camera.
Meduza is NOT two cameras that are stuck together to make “S3D” the Meduza is one camera with one set of electronics that can power any combination of sensors made by any manufacturer in the world. This system allows for the minimum amount of fixed pattern noise variation, color aberration, and eliminates all possibilities of temporal (clock) problems between images. It is completely scalable and completely modular. Each component can be changed in seconds, not minutes, and the newest sensor technology can be fitted as soon as it goes into production. What takes a traditional company 18-36 months to bring to market Meduza can accomplish in two. In this way the camera always has the “best available” imaging technology.
The Meduza is designed to be upgraded constantly and continuously and to evolve at the speed and pace of modern technology. As such users are encouraged to improve and modify the system using a host of available tools – both software code, and hardware specifications – to customize the camera as needed. It is in essence the worlds first professional “open source” camera system.
The Meduza offers a wide variety of uses to the entertainment field and is the first purpose built stereoscopic beyond 4K camera to hit the global market. The camera is not two cameras held together by grip equipment, but is a single set of electronics that power two independent sensors. The Meduza is “sensor agnostic” in that it uses any manufacturers sensor available. Sensors can be changed to fit the need of the day and users always have the latest and greatest imaging available. Users can choose between sensor sizes, resolution, speed, light sensitivity, just as they used to have the option of choosing a different film stock for a specific requirement.
The Meduza offers major advantages over other entertainment based systems:
– Currently supports multiple beyond 4k sensor options and numerous HD and 2K options
– Is available in 3072 x 4096 capture format for direct conversion to 15/70mm Giant Screen Format
– Currently supports enhanced low light near IR capability sensor options for reality TV and news gathering
– Small size: Just 12″ (30cm) long x 4″ high (10cm) x 9″ wide (225mm) all in ready to operate
– Light weight under 15 lbs (7 kilos) in the variable IA configuration
– In variable IA mode it can achieve better than 40-100mm IA without a mirror rig
– IA is accurate and can be recalled to better than 0.01mm accuracy
– Convergence is better than 4 degrees
– Convergence is symmetrical (both R/L pivot) and better than 0.10 arc/second nominal
– Mirror rig is 65-0mm IA and under 20lbs (9 kilo), Max dim 30x30x30cm
– Supports numerous lens mounts: Meduza Mini, Arriflex, PV, Canon, others
– Graphic User interface that is adjustable by the user, so you can make the layout the way you like it, and see only the information you want to see
– Preview via HDMI output: Left eye, Right eye, Overlay, S3D supported, Custom
– Camera controls: All camera controls are wireless with hardwire backup
– Can be fitted with a data back for portable recording of uncompressed data
– Records in .DNG format (RAW) standard
– Can be fitted with over 2000 pre-existing accessories
– Is an open source adaptable platform unlike any other camera system
– Never obsolete
Meduza had partnered with The 3D Company to offer its camera systems to the wider entertainment marketplace. The Meduza camera body is available on a long term lease basis starting at $27,500 USD per year (price is dependent on contract length) or via rental from authorized dealers. All bodies are updated and maintained by Meduza Systems for the entirety of the lease term and are always the most current model. All parts and accessories are available for purchase via the 3D Company or local affiliate.