The 3D Innovation Center Berlin – Platform and Launch Pad for the Market
Under the aegis of the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute a new 3D Innovation Center with some 600 sqm of space is being established in Berlin. The mission of the new center is to join forces with the movers and shakers of the 3D sector in a common effort to push forward 3D technological development, turn existing prototypes into competitive keenly priced market products, develop good quality 3D content and promote training in 3D techniques. The common goal all the partners subscribe to is to establish 3D made in Germany as a strong long-term runner on the market. The 3D Innovation Center Berlin is scheduled to open in late summer 2011.
“The original idea for the 3D Innovation Center came out of the PRIME project – PRoduction and Projection Technologies for Immersive MEdia (2008-2011),” says Dr. Andreas Goerdeler of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology which funded the PRIME project and is also supporting the 3D Innovation Center in its founding phase. “Even when a gratifyingly large number of 3D innovations from PRIME have already been taken up and used, we still need to make a joint effort to make these innovations even more suited to the job they’re doing, to develop standards for good quality 3D and to promote training in 3D techniques. All this will serve to ensure that 3D from Germany is ready to withstand the rough and tumble of international competition. But what we’ve done so far is pretty encouraging.”
The 3D Innovation Center Berlin embraces a wide range of challenging goals:
– Bringing together 3D know-how in an attractive setting
– Integration of – key – actors from across the whole system chain
– Presentation of partners’ innovative technologies and services
– Testing and trial runs of new content
– Integration of new sectors for 3D such as medicine and automotive engineering
– Development of training schemes for 3D
– Continuous communication with the range of target groups
Invitations to become a partner in the 3D Innovation Center are extended to:
– Industry – manufacturers of 3D technology for recording, studios, display and storage
– Providers – from radio stations to telecommunications companies
– Service Providers – from pre and postproduction
– Users – from areas of potential use such as entertainment, TV, film, publishing, medicine, security, education, automotive engineering etc.
– SMEs – particularly SMEs as potential users of R&D innovations and products
– Research – universities and industry innovation centers
The center will be managed by the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute in association with its partners the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits (IIS) and FLYING EYE Managementberatung für Medieninvestitionen GmbH.
The Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute has a track record of 20 years solid expertise in the field of 3D. Many of the developments engineered by the institute are now available on other platforms and in other laboratories within easy walking distance of HHI – like the 3D development labs, the HHI-TiMe-Lab with its 180′ projection screen now fully equipped for 3D and the THESEUS Innovation Center for the Internet of Services.