High-performance, stylish, reusable 3D glasses deliver cost savings to exhibitors and improved comfort to moviegoers
Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB) today announced the availability of its next-generation Dolby® 3D glasses. Designed with Dolby’s 3D technical know-how, the expertise of a leading eyewear design company, and 3M’s new multilayer optical film lenses, the glasses are compatible with Dolby 3D Digital Cinema systems currently installed.
“With the newly designed Dolby 3D glasses, we look to maintain the premium quality visual performance that Hollywood has come to expect from Dolby 3D, while providing a more comfortable fit for cinemagoers and a lower price point for exhibitors,” said Matt Cuson, Senior Marketing Director, Cinema, Dolby Laboratories. “The next-generation Dolby 3D glasses strike the perfect balance between style and performance and are designed to be used repeatedly, bringing per-ticket costs well below disposable single-use 3D glasses.”
The new glasses are currently available at a list price of $12.00 or lower when purchased with a Dolby 3D bundle. Dolby also plans to make children-sized glasses available next quarter.
New Technology Increases Performance
• Dolby has partnered with 3M to develop a new multilayer optical film lens that greatly reduces the weight of the glasses, increasing comfort while providing the excellent optical performance moviegoers expect from Dolby 3D.
• A more robust mechanical design, the new nylon frame features wide side temples and a shelf along the top edge of the frames, which help prevent extraneous light from entering the glasses, reducing internal lens reflections.
Style Enhances Comfort
• Updated industrial design makes both the audience member and the movie look marvelous.
• The new frames fit comfortably over 98 percent of prescription glasses and are well-suited to youth and adults.
More Robust for More Use
• The next-generation Dolby 3D glasses can withstand the rigors of many wash cycles and can be reused hundreds of times.
• The new 3M lenses are scratch resistant and include an antireflective coating.
RFID Tags Added for Tracking
• Beyond the antitheft tag included in previous generations of Dolby 3D glasses, the new Dolby 3D glasses also include individually serialized RFID tags.
• These tags can be used for inventory tracking and management.
New Lower Cost
• Dolby 3D glasses are high-performance, environmentally friendly, passive glasses that require no batteries or charging.
• Because they are reusable, the per-ticket cost of Dolby 3D glasses can be well below the cost of disposable 3D glasses.
• The new glasses are available at a list price of $12.00 or lower when purchased with a Dolby 3D bundle.
Exhibitors interested in learning more about Dolby 3D should contact their nearest Dolby reseller or Dolby sales office, or visit Dolby in booth (1600A) during CinemaCon 2011 at Caesars Palace.