The major movie studios are taking 3D content from cinemas to the home as TV manufacturers ship increasing numbers of 3D-ready TVs. While these efforts are aimed at the home theater environment, the trend is enabling the next evolution of 3D—3D on mobile devices. In-Stat expects that the number of 3D-enabled mobile devices shipped in 2014 will surpass 60 million units.
“Due to advancements in autostereoscopic 3D technology, a type of 3D technology that does not require glasses to view 3D images, 3D technology is finding its way into mobile devices,” says Stephanie Ethier, Senior Analyst. “The more predictable viewing distance of mobile devices enables a compelling and convenient 3D experience. Additionally, many of the chipsets found in today’s smartphones have the processing power to handle 3D content; therefore the smartphones promise the largest opportunity for mobile 3D technology suppliers over the next five years.”
Recent research findings include:
* Autostereoscopic 3D is necessary for 3D mobile device consumer acceptance
* By 2012, 3D-enabled smartphones will represent 45% of all 3D-enabled mobile devices shipments.
* Penetration rates will be highest in the handheld game console market segment.
* Tablets, smartphones, and handheld game consoles, will incorporate 3D more quickly than other portable devices.
Recent In-Stat research, 3D in Mobile Devices: 3D Adoption Will Be Highest in Smartphone, Handheld Gaming, and Tablet PC Markets (#IN1004894ID), is one of the first reports to discuss the opportunities for 3D in mobile devices (smartphones, handheld game consoles, tablet PCs, notebook PCs, digital photo frames, and portable media players). Additional discussion and data includes:
* Developments in mobile 3D technology
* Total available market (TAM) for 3D mobile devices
* Worldwide shipment forecasts
* Key market drivers and challenges
* Companies profiles including: Movidius, Myriad, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, Sharp Corporation, Texas Instruments
This research is part of In-Stat’s 3-D Content, Devices, and Technologies service, which provides analysis of the market opportunities and competitors in the 3D ecosystem.